Tuesday, June 30, 2009

If at first he doesn't succeed he tries and tries again.



Okay, I must confess that sometimes I actually envy my arch nemesis. As a Christian we all know who that is, at least I hope you know. If you're still wondering here's what our "manufacturer's instruction manual" says:

1 Peter 5:8-9 (English Standard Version)

8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.

Alrighty then, it's obvious that our enemy is indeed real, dangerous and persistent. That's it--there it is--what I envy--his persistence. He never gives up. He always tries again. He always tries again to pester me, distract me and do anything he can to take my eyes off of my Lord. He knows every hot-button and besetting sin I've got going. If he can't "get" me in one area of my life he'll go after another. If the Holy Spirit has helped me conquer a weakness in my life, then that nasty little guy goes for something else. See what I mean? That's what I admire. I wish I could be that bold and persistent in areas of my life.

So, last week I was visiting my daughter in California. (I am so grateful that I'm able to visit regularly and help her in small ways with her blooming photography biz.) Well, in the wee hours of the morning I had a strange dream. The dream was an old one really--it was an old stronghold--one that grew from a painful experience--but one that has been healed and doesn't plague me anymore. Here's the fun part--I woke up and giggled. I giggled because I knew that my persistent arch nemesis realized that he had lost his hold on me with the primary area of fear in my life (Praise God!) and so he was trying something else. I giggled with glee, shook my finger at him and said "is that all you got?" And, since it was very early in the a.m. and I was already awake and there wasn't much for me to do (Marianne's room is small and stuffed to the gills with her personal stuff and business stuff) I began to intercede as God brought needs to my mind. No sweeter revenge than to foil the enemy's plan to interrupt my sleep than to launch into intercession. I highly recommend it.

I am reminded of the story about Smith Wigglesworth. Smith was a dynamic faith filled preacher during the pentecostal revival 100 years ago. One night Smith was awoken in the middle of the night with this horrible sense of evil. He saw Satan himself standing in his bedroom. He looked Satan in the eye and said, "Oh it's only you", and turned over and went back to sleep.

Hah! That's exactly the truth of the matter. Somehow we've made Satan out to be like one of those ugly horrible creatures we see on TV or in movies (the kind that always seem to win--what is that all about anyway?) Well the truth is that he is already conquered! The end is near for him. All he is really is a pesky gnat that buzzes annoyingly around our minds. We are more than conquerors! Know it and be even more persistent that your arch enemy!!!

Romans 8:36

As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment