Sunday, August 2, 2009

Grace, grace and more grace


One of my favorite relatives in the world visited this week. She is my father's only sibling and is 85 years old. She came to see her brother who is a victim of Alzheimers disease. This is in fact the first time in 20 years or more that she has come here to visit--before my dad's illness, he and mom would visit Texas where she lives regularly so there didn't seem to be a need.

So, she braved flying alone to come spend 10 days with my mother and to daily visit my Dad. Before her arrival I asked our home church to pray for her. She is a bit of a nervous person and I was afraid that she would be somewhat--well let's say it as it is--hysterical when she saw my dad. It has been 3 years since I took him and my mother out to Texas to see her. He has gone from a mild state to a more severe state of the disease and I knew it would be a shock to her.

I asked our home church to pray about something else. To pray that I would have an opportunity to encourage my Aunt. She is a believer in God, saved by grace, but struggles with the grace portion of her salvation. She just can't believe that she doesn't have to "do" anything to earn the salvation. She often brings up the topic when we get together.

And by that same grace, God brought up the topic once again as we were driving back from the family cabin this week.

She asked me a question that frankly shocked me. "She said where do people go after they die? Where do they go to be judged first?" I was surprised because I knew that although she is not a student of the Word, that she has been in many churches where the truth of grace was taught.

I explained that the scripture says that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. No ifs, ands or maybes--if a person has believed on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation from their sins, they are in God's presence immediately after death. I reminded her of the thief on the cross--someone who had lived his live most probably deep in sin, rejecting God, but through God's grace and mercy in the last few seconds of his life he believed that Jesus was His Savior and Jesus told him that very day he would be with Him in paradise.

I thought perhaps she'd had some teaching on the Great White Throne of God which Revelations teaches all creation would face in the later days. I explained that it was not a judgment to determine whether a person got to stay in heaven or was cast into hell--it was one where God judged what we had done with the life He had given us. A time indeed of sadness and regret for the things we had not done for God's glory but also one that awarded crowns for the fruit in our lives. But these crowns would be given back to God--our love and appreciation causing us to recognize that all good things that we had produced were produced by that same grace that forgives us.

I encouraged her to know that God forgives us all our sin. I explained that anything that keeps us from God is indeed sin, but the real tragedy is that the sin keeps us from walking close to our Lord, from loving Him with all our hearts, from knowing the intense feeling of being loved by the Creator of the Universe.

I felt that "rush" of knowing that the Holy Spirit was imparting a special word for her and for me as the vessel to speak of His Love to her.

It was a bittersweet few moments as we waited for her plane to take her back to Texas. I knew she was regretting that she hadn't come sooner and very sad that this might be the last time she will see Dad before he passes. My prayer for her is that she sees this not as an ending but as indeed the beginning of eternity. That she knows that the next time she sees him he will be fit and fiddle--doing that little jig that he does with his short little bow-legged legs. My prayer for her is that she will receive the blessed peace that comes with understanding that God's grace is wider and deeper than anything we can possibly imagine. I pray that her last years will be filled with His comfort and His peace knowing that she has nothing to fear in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment